Re: RFC: new location for openLilyLib repository

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: RFC: new location for openLilyLib repository
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2015 07:29:45 +0100

Am 13.11.2015 um 18:51 schrieb Simon Albrecht:
> On 13.11.2015 17:19, Federico Bruni wrote:
>> Il giorno ven 13 nov 2015 alle 11:58, Urs Liska <address@hidden>
>> ha scritto:
>>> I suggest (and if noone objects will do it)
>>> renaming the "openlilylib" repository to "snippets"
>>> -> https://github.com/openlilylib/snippets
>>> NOTE: This may require users to adapt their repository set-ups and
>>> LilyPond include path settings
>>> creating a new repository
>>> https://github.com/openlilylib/oll-core
>>> where the stuff from /ly/_internal will be moved (reviewing a number
>>> of things along the way)
>>>
>>> Regaring the location of the individual libraries, what would you
>>> consider best:
>>> adding all beside oll-core
>>> (keeping the option that anyone creates libraries in their own place)
>>> creating a new openlilylib sibling organization for that purpose
>>> Just have library maintainers maintain their repos in their own
>>> namespace
>>> (providing a central listing of available libraries in some place,
>>> of course)
>>
>> I would avoid confusion and keep a single organization.
>>
>> The first option is the best IMO. I don't see the benefit of keeping
>> the libraries in separate places. Libraries are the core content of
>> openlilylib, not an additional feature (like e.g. an editor plugin).
>
> The idea behind the new setup would be that the only ‘core’ content of
> openlilylib is some basic infrastructure, such as is contained in
> /ly/_internal. Every library can be used independently and
> arbitrarily, so they don’t make up any ‘core’.
>
>> It's all plain text files, the size of the repository won't be big.
>
> Well, the memory size has never been the point, I think. It’s rather
> the difficulty of maintaining and managing a potentially great number
> of libraries, if e.g. everybody with push access to any of the
> libraries can push to all the other libraries too.

My main concern is that we'd end up with a large number of "library"
repositories and a few "other" ones mixed up. But Federico's comment
made me realize that we actually should see it from the other side: The
github/openlilylib organization should *only* contain the libraries (one
"core" and numerous libraries) while we should create an additional
organization for everything else. From the current state the oll-latex
and the lily-fonts repos should be moved to that new organization, and
when we create other "programming" or other non-library repositories
(e.g. a tool for building docs from LilyPond files) they should go there
too.

Urs