temporarily forcing notes to ignore LyricText width

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: temporarily forcing notes to ignore LyricText width
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2015 16:46:33 -0500

Hello all,

In the attached snippet, you can see how the notes are evenly spaced when there
is enough overall width (page 1), but become unevenly spaced when the width is
at all cramped (page 2).

An automagic fix for this issue is part of the GSoc Lyric overhaul, and hence
is a long way off from being implemented [if ever!]. In the meantime, I would
love a tweak that would allow me to tell Lily to ignore the LyricText grobs
when spacing that measure; I would then go and nudge the individual grobs left
or right as necessary to make the measure look great.

Unfortunately, I can’t seem to find the correct incantation. (Note: I’ve tried
setting LyricText.X-extent and #'extra-spacing-width, but with unexpected and
not uniform results.)

Thanks,
Kieren.

p.s.  Bonus points if this tweak can be applied “externally” (i.e., via the
edition-engraver).
________________________________

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info
‣ email: address@hidden

%%%%  SNIPPET BEGINS
\version "2.19.30"
\language "english"

#(set-global-staff-size 15.5)
\paper {
  ragged-right = ##f
  indent = 0
}

global = {
  \key g \major
  \time 3/2
  s1.
}

theNotes = {
    <d' d''>8 <fs' fs''> <e' e''> <e' e''>] <d' d''> q <b b'> <fs' fs''> <e'
e''> q <d' d''> q   | %
}

theLyrics = \lyricmode {
    ez, Ron -- sard me cé -- lé -- brait, du temps que j'ét -- ais
}

theScore = <<
      \new Staff \new Voice << \global \theNotes >>
      \addlyrics \theLyrics

\bookpart {
  \paper { line-width = 6\in }
  \score { \theScore }