Re: ScholarLy fails with \RemoveEmptyStaffContext

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: ScholarLy fails with \RemoveEmptyStaffContext
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 11:57:51 +0100

Graham King <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, 2015-11-16 at 09:24 +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
>
>> Graham King <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > This took a little while to nail down, but it seems that ScholarLy's
>> > annotation engine fails silently when \RemoveEmptyStaffContext is
>> > active.  Almost-minimal example attached.
>>
>> >   \layout {
>> > %{ %Toggle this block comment to reveal problem:
>> >     \context {
>> >       \RemoveEmptyStaffContext
>> >     }
>> > %}
>>
>> What is that supposed to be?  I am not even sure what this does.  Maybe
>> we should check that case and flag an error: there is no context
>> specified to which this is supposed to apply.  You probably want
>> something like a
>>
>> \Staff
>>
>> before the \RemoveEmptyStaffContext.
>>

> thanks David, you've solved my problem (and probably saved Urs some work
> too).  Somehow I had missed that there is a new, better, way to remove
> empty staves.

Uh, actually it would appear that I got this wrong: I confused
\RemoveEmptyStaffContext (the old way of doing this which overwrites the
\Staff context definition with a fixed one) with \RemoveEmptyStaves (the
recommended way of doing this).

Maybe we should replace \RemoveEmptyStaffContext with a scheme function
referencing the current setting of \Staff.

And/or add a convert-ly rule to do that.  Either way is not as "backward
compatible" as the current code but I rather doubt that backward
compatibility is doing anybody a favor here.

--
David Kastrup