Re: tips for formatting an interview

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: tips for formatting an interview
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2015 20:50:40 +0100

Il giorno dom 15 nov 2015 alle 3:17, Simon Albrecht <address@hidden> ha scritto:
On 14.11.2015 15:22, Federico Bruni wrote:
Hi all

I'm trying to format directly in LilyPond an interview (the single text only part of a book). I don't want to use lilypond-book and LaTeX just because of this minor part of the book.

I've two questions:

1) There's any way to place the text on two columns AND let LilyPond reflow it depending on the available space on the page? The documentation contains an example where you must decide in advance what goes into column left and what into column right. I'd like to avoid this.

No, Lily can’t currently typeset in multiple columns. I’m surprised to see that there is no feature request in the tracker. This should be available both as a paper variable (say \paper { columns = 2 }) and as a markup command/markup list command(?).

Searching "two AND columns" in the open bugs list didn't return any relevant issue. I guess that this should be added? Do you have better keywords to search?

2) I'm trying to create a shortcut for formatting the question and the answer. I wonder if the new \etc can be used for this purpose or should I rather create a markup function.

IIUC, \etc can only be used for music functions (at least until now… :-)). So you need a custom markup or markup list command.

Ok, adapting the example in the Extending manual was easy:

\version "2.19.31"

#(define-markup-list-command (question layout props args) (markup-list?)
  #:properties ((par-indent 2))
  (interpret-markup-list layout props
    #{\markuplist \justified-lines \bold { #args } #}))

#(define-markup-list-command (answer layout props args) (markup-list?)
  #:properties ((par-indent 2))
  (interpret-markup-list layout props
    #{\markuplist \justified-lines { #args } #}))

\markuplist {
 \question {
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in
   culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.
 }
 \answer {