Re: sponsorship offer: Lyric fixes (GSoC, etc.)

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: sponsorship offer: Lyric fixes (GSoC, etc.)
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 17:07:54 -0500

Hi Abraham,

> Which issues specifically?

If you look at <http://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/2450/>, you’ll
see a list of other related issues.

There have been more added since then.

And I have a few new ones. (At least, I think they’re new… I’d better look
through all 255 [!] issues that come up for a search on ‘lyrics’, to see what’s
what.)

> What kind of sponsorship we talking about?

Depends on the precise issue/feature. I spent 8 hours [with the
edition-engraver] tweaking one measure of my current engraving (see
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2015-11/msg00477.html>). That
one feature would be worth hundreds of dollars to me, since that one bar cost
me a whole day’s work, and that kind of measure will happen again and again at
the same scale, not to mention hundreds of times at a smaller scale (e.g., 10
minutes tweaking here, 30 minutes there, 5 minutes there, etc.).

I’m sure I can find $1,000 over the course of three years to get my pet peeves
taken care of.

But I also want to make sure that the larger picture is being considered at all
times. I don’t want to pay $100 for Feature A, then pay another $100 for
Feature B, only to find out that the fix for Feature B ruins the old fix for
Feature A, or they both could have been handled (possibly for less) if they had
been tackled together.

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer