SVG fonts

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: SVG fonts
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2015 12:41:53 +1100

I am attempting to produce SVG output from lilypond 2.19.31.

The score uses specific fonts, such as the following:

  \override DynamicText.font-name = "Noto Serif Bold Italic"

The current release produces a less than useful error when the SVG font cannot be found:

warning: cannot find SVG font #f

I have prepared a patch for this which now gives the name of the file that cannot be found.

To come to the next point, I have used fontforge to make an SVG version of Noto Serif Bold Italic, and placed it in the lilypond svg font directory as notoserif-bolditalic.svg (the name of which I was able to determine via the above mentioned warning patch I have developed).

But lilypond produces the following error with this SVG font installed:

Layout output to `exp-svg-font.svg'.../usr/share/guile/1.8/ice-9/regex.scm:121:22: In procedure vector-ref in _expression_ (vector-ref match matchnum):
/usr/share/guile/1.8/ice-9/regex.scm:121:22: Wrong type argument in position 2: 1

The score does not compile.

Hence, two questions.
  1. Can you use fonts converted to SVG by fontforge in lilypond?
  2. If so, what is this error?
Andrew