Re: question about overrides within repeats

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: question about overrides within repeats
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2015 18:48:09 +0100

David Nalesnik <address@hidden> writes:

> My question would be: when does the evaluation of a grob's stencil
> normally happen?  My guess is this normal evaluation is happening
> based on a haphazard input, that using 'before-line-breaking and
> 'after-line-breaking is forcing a later evaluation, at a time when
> grobs have been better arranged by timing.
>
> (Please understand that this is largely a guess.  I'm finding the code
> incredible hard to follow.)

Some stencils will depend on the particular line break choices, some
not.

This code is incredibly hard to follow because the optimization problem
LilyPond has to solve leads to complex patterns of evaluating things
(and throwing a lot of them away).  And unfortunately the complexity is
distributed all over the place instead of having its code condensed into
one well-documented framework.

"well-documented" and "LilyPond code" rarely fit well into the same
sentence anyway.  But the code for this problem alone already makes it a
particularly bad area.

--
David Kastrup