Re: [Best Practices] splitting and combining choral parts

From: tyronicus
Subject: Re: [Best Practices] splitting and combining choral parts
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 11:30:00 -0700 (MST)

Kieren wrote
> I’ve posted this question several times before, but the discussion always
> got truncated or derailed… I’m hoping this time we can work this through
> to a solution.

Simon and Michael, you make interesting points; yet, as an observer, I
submit that the topic has been derailed again. Can we focus on how to
achieve automatic frenching based on divisi?

Kieren, this seems like a lot of work. It sounds like we want Lily to look
at the line she's working on and decide whether some of the staves can be
combined based on the content they have. There would be a bunch of rules to
follow (do you allow Lily to combine when pitches are different but rhythms
are the same? what about a short melisma in one voice but not in the other;
would you split a whole line over that? Do you allow the alto staff and
tenor staff to combine for S/AT/B?). An ideal solution would have to allow
the user to turn certain rules on or off. This seems like complex
programming to me.

My question is, would a solution that requires user intervention be
acceptable? For example, a switch like \separateStaves which would force
staves to be separated from the beginning of the current line, and a
corresponding \combineStaves which would tell Lily to begin combining at the
next line break. You would also have to specify which staves to combine.
This puts the burden of decision on the user, hopefully simplifying the
programming. Then, Lily just has to create a new Staff, use \partcombine,
and assign lyrics to the voice.