Re: Chord names

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Chord names
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2015 13:32:53 +0100

> "address@hidden" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Good morning. How do you create a chord name that's a minor sus?
>>
>> Example:
>> \version "2.16.2"
>> chordNames = \chordmode {
>>   \global
>>   e4.:m e:m/d a:m a:m d d:7 g2.
>>
>> I want the first a:m chord to be an a-minor sus.
>
> What does that mean?  A suspended chord is one where the third is
> replaced by either the second or the fourth, so there is no difference
> between major and minor in a suspended chord.
>
> --
> David Kastrup

Ofcourse true, if you regard the structure of the single chord,
without any envirement.
That's the way LilyPond how LilyPond deals with chords.

But look at:

m =
\chordmode {
  e1:m
  a:m
  b:7
  %\once \override ChordName.text = \markup { Em \super "sus4" }
  e:sus4
  e:m
}

mII = \relative {
  <e e' g b>
  <a e' a c>
  <b dis fis a >
  <e, b' e a>
  <e b' e g>
}

<<
  \new ChordNames \m
  \new Staff \mII

I do _hear_ the 4th chord as a minor chord with suspended third.

I don't know if it would possible at all to teach LilyPond to extract
the tonic or to look at a user-setted tonic.
But maybe it's worth considering that the minor-chord-modifier is
always printed, if written. Even for sus2 and sus4 chords.

For now the commented override should work.

Cheers,
  Harm