Re: Chord names

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: Chord names
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2015 18:44:39 -0600

> On Nov 26, 2015, at 10:10 AM, Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
>>> LilyPond's chord-naming names actually played chord notes,
>>> not anticipated chords.
>
> I, for one, am grateful there are overrides, so I can easily label chords
> with a chord name that my musicians prefer to see — in this case, a chord
> name which actually helps them perform better — as opposed to being stuck
> with whatever is suggested by the “rule” that’s currently implemented by
> default.

Flexibility is one of the strengths of Lilypond.  The “rule” in question is
implemented by default because there is no practical way to do it otherwise.
Lilypond cannot predict the intent of the composer.  Sus chords do not resolve
to a diatonic major or minor in quartal harmony for example, so for Lilypond to
assume there is a resolution to a major or minor triad would be unwise.