Re: grace notes MIDI playback

From: Gilberto Agostinho
Subject: Re: grace notes MIDI playback
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2015 06:23:00 -0700 (MST)

David Kastrup wrote
> So how should this be rigged instead?  Nominal length, unless that would
> swallow all of the following notelength or more?  And otherwise scale
> down repeatedly by a factor of 2 until it doesn't?

That sounds like an excellent approach as appogiaturas should be played with
their nominal lengths. For instance, see the first bar of the original
notation of Mozart's Alla Turca rondo:

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n184220/mozart_allaturca.png>

It should be interpreted as:

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n184220/RondoAllaTurcaMozart.png>

In theory the length of all appoggiaturas before a note shouldn't exceed
that note's length, but of course this should be taken care in an algorithm,
and I think the scaling down by 2 loop sounds very clever.

Cheers!
Gilberto