Re: ChordNames: Brandt & Roemer exceptions

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: ChordNames: Brandt & Roemer exceptions
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 00:04:04 +0100

Hi Kieren,

as a guitar player, I am used to not having standards in chord notation
(the German note names confusion (H=B) being one of the constant issues
with that). So please forgive my ignorance when talking about consistent
systems of chord notation like Brandt-Roemer.

I was interested in a direct comparison to the current style. That's why
I created the attachment from your testing code.
  red = Lilypond's default style
  black = your Brandt-Roemer style
  green = differences I noticed (only once)

My personal take is: nice and understandable. I like the sizes of
accidentals and the consistent font size for numbers. I am not used to
these diminished chords, the minor and the major 7 notation.

Two questions:
1. Why is Cm69 (ly) = C6/9 (BR)? Where is the "MI" gone? Is it kind of
implied? I don't see it.

2. (I almost don't dare to ask, but) in your code, could the "MI" for
minor be configurable such that the BR style can be used but with 'm'
for minor? (For ignorants who want to break with a standard.)

Thanks for your work in any case!

Cheers,
Joram