A few notes softer

From: mskala
Subject: A few notes softer
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 12:10:50 -0600 (CST)

This may be more a question about musical notation than about LilyPond,
but:

I would like to indicate that just a few notes (one hand on the piano for
the duration of one bar) should be played softly.  Not as a progressive
change over time (crescendo/decrescendo), but the isolated notes - play at
normal volume up to that point, play the few soft notes, then go back to
the previous level.

What is the best way to indicate this so that musicians will easily
understand that that is how I intend it to be played?  How can that best
notation be easily achieved with LilyPond?  Is there a standard musical
term for this effect?

Here's what I have at the moment, and what it looks like is attached.
Code extracted from a longer score; in the real file the two hands are
inside separate defines.

% this is in D major; none of these notes will be engraved as accidentals
   << { <a' cis'' e''>8 <a' cis'' e''>8
         <a' cis'' e''>8 <a' cis'' e''>8 } \\
       { \override Hairpin.stencil = #constante-hairpin
          s8._\> s16_\p\< s4_\! } >> |

% the left hand is probably not relevant, but:
    <g, b, d>4 r4 |

I think this looks nice, but I don't know if anyone else but me will
understand what it means, and I wish I could get the "p" to be centred and
the spacing at the ends of the bracket to be more balanced.  Maybe it
would be better to abuse a tuplet bracket to engrave this?

Having it *also* produce the right velocities for MIDI is probably a
lost cause, but it's no big deal if I have to rewrite that bar for the
MIDI version.  I don't want to just put \p at the start of the bar and \mf
at the start of the immediately following bar, because that suggests
changes in the ongoing overall dynamic level (which I don't intend) and
also I don't think that would clearly indicate that it's just for one
hand.

--
Matthew Skala
address@hidden                 People before principles.