Re: accidentals for just intonation

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: accidentals for just intonation
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 11:38:05 +0100

Am 01.12.2015 um 10:47 schrieb N. Andrew Walsh:
> So, the just-intonation accidental engraver would be able to break
> down the ratio given for a pitch into its prime factors (or expect
> that they are already thus formatted), and then place the paths on the
> accidental in the correct positions, and then typeset the resultant
> accidental into music notation in place of regular accidentals.
>
> I hope that clarifies a bit what I'm going after. Thanks again for the
> help.

I have to admit it would need more mental capacity than I have available
right now to really get through this, but I think my basic approach
should be the right one:

You have a rather small number of individual components (vertical,
horizontal and diagonal elements) that can all represented by a
postscript path. A function should be able to determine from the input
ratio which of these elements have to be combined and then generate the
appropriate path and eventually use that to replace Accidental.stencil.

How these paths can be created is something I won't be of much help, but
if you get to the point where you have very concrete necessities you'll
surely be able to get help by others with more experience in that.

Urs