Re: Vertically centering a song text.

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: Vertically centering a song text.
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2015 20:28:32 -0700 (MST)

Bill,

On Wednesday, December 2, 2015, William Marchant [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]> wrote:
In the example snippet quoted below, there is a line:
skipFour = \repeat unfold 4 { \skip 8 }

I have found this useful on its own, and have saved it for future use.
The { \skip 8 } part has me baffled.   What does it do?  I have changed
the number to 4, or 16 but there is no perceptible difference in its
operation.  Yet, if I remove it, the snippet does not work. Can someone
explain its function?
Bill

On 15-12-02 07:02 AM, Robin Bannister wrote:

> Robert Blackstone wrote:
>
>> How can I shift the lyrics of the second part vertically
> > so that it is centered with respect to the first part
>
> LSR503 shows one way of doing this:
> http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=503
>
> I use Y-offset instead of extra-offset
>

> Cheers,
> Robin

\skip in the Lyrics context is necessary for skipping beats without creating a melisma (which can be manually created with a single underscore for each beat in the melisma). I'm not sure why it's insensitive to the number after it. I have wondered the same thing, but that's the way it works at the moment. Outside the Lyrics context in normal note entry, it is sensitive to the number. So, doing something like

\repeat unfold 6 { \skip 4 }

is usually the quickest way to jump more than a couple of beats when you don't want to attach any lyrics to notes.

On a related, but side, note, I wrote a post a while back about a way to deal with vertically centering lyrics with the help of a music function. Anyway, it may be helpful to someone:

http://leighverlag.blogspot.com/2014/11/vertically-centering-lyrics.html

Best,
Abraham