Music Blocks Software and LilyPond Integration

From: Devin
Subject: Music Blocks Software and LilyPond Integration
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2015 11:25:01 -0500

Hi,

I have been working with Walter Bender of Sugar Labs to create web-based, free software (AGPL) for students to explore music's fundamental concepts in a visual programming environment (fork of Turtle Blocks).

I have put the software up at http://www.musicblocks.net and you can try a stable version of the software at http://play.musicblocks.net.

This software is relevant to lilypond because we aim to have it be integrated with lilypond software. Currently, it is able to export a music blocks creation to a simple lilypond file (well-featured, but not fully-featured), and we plan for it to be able to import lilypond code as well. Lilypond has been very good for this project, because the code is text-based and relatively simple to generate from Music Blocks' code (much appreciation for all the hard work!)

The reason I am reaching out to this list is because, SugarLabs will be participating in Google Code-in this year (begins Dec 7th) and I may have questions for the group. May I ask questions related to code-syntax and integration on this mailing list?

I also wanted to let Lilypond users know about this project, as it might become a sensible access-point for introducing young and new users to lilypond since Music Blocks is a reasonably good GUI front-end to generating Lilypond notation.

Thank you!
Devin
---
www.devinulibarri.com