Re: grace notes MIDI playback

From: Gilberto Agostinho
Subject: Re: grace notes MIDI playback
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2015 13:18:11 -0700 (MST)

David Wright wrote
> That's not true for all appoggiaturas of that era, is it?

Well, with old music it's always tricky to find rules for these type of
things, and to cater our MIDI output around it will lead to madness IMO. But
I'd say it's quite safe to assume the meaning of contemporary appoggiaturas
(this problem is similar to the accacciaturaL the modern is to be played as
short as possible on the beat, but in old music this will vary wildly).

From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ornament_%28music%29#Appoggiatura

For some of the old rules, see pp. 43--46 from
https://books.google.cz/books?id=TMdf1SioFk4C&pg=PA44&dq=appoggiatura&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=appoggiatura&f=false