Re: Renaissance 4/2 time signature

From: karl
Subject: Re: Renaissance 4/2 time signature
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2015 14:23:25 +0100 (CET)

Andrew Bernard:
> My first foray into setting a Renaissance keyboard piece into modern notation.

Ahh, welcome to the wouderful world of early music, and don't
hesitate to ask for more help.

> This is a keyboard piece by Claudio Merulo, published 1592.
> So it’s not mensural notation, but early Renaissance.

> Image attached.

That looks much like white mensural notation with slurs and bars added.
It couldn't be early "renaissance", I guess you ment early barock.

I found your source as:
 Canzoni d'Intavolatura d'Organo, a quattro voci, fatte alla francese, Book 1
(1592)
 http://imslp.org/images/c/c9/PMLP426936-merulo_canzoni_tablatura_orgao.pdf

> In my option this piece is in 4/2 and I want to set it as such,
> and I want to retain the cut c time signature used by the original
> printer. That’s not a mensural time signature, so how does one do
> that in lilypond?

  \set Staff.timeSignatureFraction = #'(2 . 2)
  \time 4/2

See example in

 http://turkos.aspodata.se/git/musik/Josquin_des_Prez/per_illud_ave_prolatum/

Doc in: