Re: Fonts in svg backend

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: Fonts in svg backend
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2015 12:20:09 +1100

Greetings All,

I recently posted some issues with SVG fonts to which there were no solutions proposed. The SVG backend seems to be full of issues, and somewhat neglected it would seem.

When trying to set the font for Dynamics using the SVG backend lilypond fails (refer previous posting).

My question now is, does lilypond require SVG versions of fonts or not? There is an SVG font set in the lilypond distribution directory, but it seems lilypond can use Open Type fonts in SVG output in any case. So if I want a custom font, do I need to provide SVG versions, which generally have to be manufactured with fontforge? Does the SVGbackedn use a mixture of SVG and Open Type font formats?

I believe this is relevant to this thread because perhaps the SVG font machinery works in a rather hard to understand way. The NR is not verbose on the topic, not that I could see.

Andrew