Re: 'bach accidental style

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: 'bach accidental style
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2015 16:47:19 +0100

From studying Bach’s Clavierübung III from a first edition facsimile [1] I am well aware of the conventions.

On 06.12.2015 16:40, BB wrote:
http://www.iment.com/maida/familytree/henry/music/bachnotation.htm

In 18th century music-writing, an accidental was not in effect for an entire measure but applied only to the note immediately following the accidental.

If this were true, we could indeed just use \accidentalStyle forget. But there are the two exceptions, which I already described in my initial post. Sigh.

This has caused some confusion in many editions. Bach occasionally forgot to write the accidentals himself and added them later below the notes when there was not room to write them before the notes.

Often it has nothing to do with him ‘forgetting’ the accidentals, but with saving space. But I’m less interested in discussing the notational convention. My request was about the technical implementation, in case you didn’t notice.

Yours, Simon