Re: November font

From: mskala
Subject: Re: November font
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2015 06:55:10 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 11 Dec 2015, Andrew Bernard wrote:
> The downloadable PDF font sample shows beams for 16’s and 32’s squashed
> together with no whitespace (depending on PDF view scale factor, which I
> have never seen before), beams running past stems at the end, and other
> errors. Hence my doubts, and my queries to the list as to people’s
> experience.

I noticed that too.  If the objects displaying this behaviour are part of
a font, then these are the kinds of issues that good hinting in the font
is supposed to prevent, and it seems like commercial-quality fonts should
do better than what's in that file.

However, it's mostly noticeable with beams.  Are the beams really from
the font, or are they graphical objects drawn by the engraving software?
I suspect they're graphics, not font glyphs, and so this may be an issue
with the engraving software used to produce the file and nothing to do
with the font as such.

--
Matthew Skala
address@hidden                 People before principles.