Re: Rounded beams

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Rounded beams
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 09:26:43 -0500

Hi all,

> If printed beams were supposed to be curved,
> they would have been easy to engrave into plates […]
> But it does not appear like that was desired.

Indeed. I'd guess that straight beams were quickly determined to be superior to
curved beams for at least two reasons:

(a) straight beams encourage the reader to more accurately assess, at a glance,
the [overall] direction, [overall] slope, and approximate duration of the
beamed group; and

(b) straight beams differentiate themselves more strongly from curved musical
objects/items (including ties. slurs, and certain scripts).

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info