Re: Rounded beams

From: Evans Winner
Subject: Re: Rounded beams
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 11:43:39 -0700

Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

>> I'm sorry, I can't answer your question, but I am curious --
>> what is the purpose of the curved beam?

     I must say, I would like to know that too.
     But as it is from an engraving example of a score by Peter Eötvös I
     assume it *does* have a purpose.

I suppose I could have searched Google in the first place,
but at any rate, a search indicates that some people use
curved beams either to indicated approximate micro-tonal
inflections in the notes under the beam, or to indicate a
kind of vaguely notated rubato-like fuzziness of rhythm.
The later seems to be more common, and has at least the
virtue of making use of an existing element of the notation
(similarly to feathered beams) rather than adding some new
symbol to clutter up the score.