Re[2]: \breakDynamicSpan in a Dynamics context?

From: musicus
Subject: Re[2]: \breakDynamicSpan in a Dynamics context?
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 15:27:34 +0000

 +1 for the edition-engraver,
but it's not possible to reflect the actual structure of connected dynamics... it's more a "tweak every single element" and because of the "outsourcing" (which is great for the "redability" in many cases)
it's easy to loose the mind control about the musical structure.

(Lilyponds straight reflection of the musical structure is actually one of my main reasons for choosing it as notation software)

Maybe we can get some interesting input by looking into other layout/design software (for example SCRIBUS).
I imagine a way of positioning objects relative to any other object.
(this feature could be a nice workaround solution for most positioning bugs) In terms of dynamics you could group any number of dynamics and position the entire group between staves/ skylines...

Best,
musicus

Hi,

Both ways have annoying side effects as blurring the visual and structural representation of the musical content in your code

… unless you use the edition-engraver.  ;)

maybe some of the experienced contributors can sketch a possible way to create this.

In the extreme, this feature would simply remove the spanner/connection altogether: dynamics would be free to float as they wished [modulo collisions and padding, of course], with no impact on other dynamics in the same staff/system.

The killer feature would be a hybrid, allowing explicit connections and/or disconnections, while otherwise maintaining a controlled axis throughout an entire staff/system.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how this could be implemented, nor the skills to implement it if I knew how. But I would be happy to contribute some sponsorship money (up to 50 Euros) to see that it got done.

Best,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info