Re: Why does \skip extend an extender

From: Cynthia Karl
Subject: Re: Why does \skip extend an extender
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2015 11:35:09 -0600

> On Nov 29, 2014, at 9:51 AM, Phil Holmes <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Patrick or Cynthia Karl" <address@hidden>

I guess I don’t really understand the thinking here.  Does it not frequently
happen that an instrument performer and a singer “play” the same notes, the
performer on his instrument and the singer with his voice?  And if that ever
does happen, wouldn’t it be conceivable that there might come a time when the
singer should be silent while the performer continues on with the notes?

I just ran into this again this morning with the song by Anonymous, "Si de vos
mi bien me aparto”, from Venice in the 1500s.  The cantus part has a second
verse in the first staff of the piece, then silence until the last staff of the
piece, when the second verse reappears.

Expectations aside, I have been unable to find documentation supporting this
quirk of \skip.  I don’t see why \skip has to take on the duties of “_” in
extending an extender another note.