Re: Why does \skip extend an extender

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Why does \skip extend an extender
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2015 22:02:42 +0100

>> On Nov 29, 2014, at 9:51 AM, Phil Holmes <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Patrick or Cynthia Karl" <address@hidden>

Already done here:
http://www.uma.es/victoria/varios.html
ly-file:
http://www.uma.es/victoria/varios/ly/Anonimo-Si_De_Vos_Mi_Bien.ly

> Expectations aside, I have been unable to find documentation supporting this
> quirk of \skip.  I don’t see why \skip has to take on the duties of “_” in
> extending an extender another note.

Well, quite often the same goal can be reached taking different
routes. Documenting all might blow up the docs even more...

>> However, if you want to do this, replace \skip with "".

Doesn't work properly. It will return a warning.
See the examples below with different approaches, some work some not.

\version "2.14.2" % up to 2.19.32

\relative c' {
  c4 d e f g2 e c1
}
\addlyrics { c d e f __ _ _ C }
\addlyrics { c d e f __ _ \skip 1 C }
\addlyrics { c d e f __ _  " " C }
\addlyrics { c d e f __ _ \markup " " C }
%% works:
\addlyrics { c d e f __ _  "  " C } %% nb, doubled space!
\addlyrics { c d e f __ _ \markup \null C }
%% The following ends the extender but returns:
%% 2.14.2: programming error: cannot align on self: empty element
%% 2.16.2: works without warning
%% >=2.18.2: warning: LyricText has empty extent and non-empty stencil.
\addlyrics { c d e f __ _  "" C }

So I'd think we should have a documented method to finish an extender
where the user wants.

Cheers,
  Harm