Re: big (?) challenge: multi-segment / multi-angle OttavaBracket

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: big (?) challenge: multi-segment / multi-angle OttavaBracket
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 00:25:18 +0100

> HOLY MOLY! This is fabulous.

Glad you like it.

> 1. Yes, it appears (at least, from your snippet) to do exactly what I want; I
> will test it “in production", and report back ASAP.

Though, I'm afraid you will surely notice the disadvantages soon.

> 2. Let me know (off-line, if desired) what a reasonable fee is for your work;
> I’ll definitely pay you something.

This code isn't ready to be implemented into the source, maybe (and
its a big maybe) into LSR.
It's an extended variation of some code I made for a user in the
german forum some time ago and based on Mike Solomon's fix for
No need for any payment to me.

You may want to donate something to David K. who really needs it.
Without his fabulous work I would be far less effective helping on the
user-list. His work is not always directly noticeable/user-accessible,
but every time I look up how codings were done in past lily-versions I
see again how good LilyPond developed, most basic work was David's!

Speaking only for me, bounties doesn't attract me.
An interesting problem, good presented (sic) and I'm on it.
Well, if I've the time for it...

>> Every layout-change will likely result in the need of readjusting…
>
> That’s fine by me, at least in the short term: I can do all of the tweaking
> in the edition-engraver (post-layout).

I didn't use the edition-engraver so far, can't say if it will work

>> It would be far simpler if one could add an option to make-path-stencil to
>> draw dashed lines.
>> But I found no way to do so. Thus I defined `make-dashed-line-stencil' and
>> `make-connected-dashed-line-stencil' first.
>> With `kneed-line' I try to give you a little easier to use code at hand, but
>> I'm really not convinced.
>
> Well, if anyone else finds this idea worth pursuing/sponsoring, perhaps we
> can crowd-source your code into an awesome patch!?

I'm not sure a patch will be possible, at least with _this_ approach.
But maybe with some other, lemme think about it ...

> Thanks again!
> I’ll report back soon.
>
> Cheers,
> Kieren.