Re: Telemann's "Strich"

From: Robert Blackstone
Subject: Re: Telemann's "Strich"
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 09:47:30 +0100

Hi Andrew,

Decapitated arrows as stiff slurs. Why not?  Perhaps I would like to try it, some day. (But as a LilyPond newbie there are many more urgent things I have to learn now.)

But also I have to decide whether or not to copy Telemann's Strich in the modern version. That depends on whether they are really and only figured bass extenders, as has been argued in this thread, for which there is a more official visual marking, or whether it is just Telemann's way of indicating that the accompaying keyboard player should not play or add chords beyond the first note of such a "slurred" bass progression.

As for your last remark: I would consider it as a very harmless manifestation of human greed.

Best regards,
Robert

PS While I was writing this reply your next mail(s) arrived.

Ref.: "I think he should adhere to the original look and feel.
I fully agree, and that is what I intend to do, the more so since "Telemann's Strich" does not seem to be identical with a figured bass extender in all occurrences.
Thanks for this comment.