note head extents and event procedures (tabstaff)

From: Steve Fullerton
Subject: note head extents and event procedures (tabstaff)
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2015 08:55:05 -0600 (CST)

 I am new to Lilypond and extremely confused. I have been working with lilypond tablature and have managed to get everything working except one thing.

I need to add an event function that will draw something to the left or right of the last tab note head. I know how to do the drawing part using postscript, however I can't figure out how to get the extents for the current notehead.

In the music I want something like this:  e'4\3\mything

In mything I need something like:

(left-x ...)
(right-x ...)
(top-y ...)
(bot-y ..)

where the x and y refer to the previous tab note head.

I currently do my drawing (to the right of the notehead) starting at x=1. This works great for single digit tablature fret numbers (e.g. '1'). However as soon as the fret number goes to double digits, x=1 draws right on top of the note head.

Can anyone out there sketch me out a generic event function (or music funtion or ???) that starts with the code needed to get the extents of the previous note/chord.

Thank you for your help!