Re: How to transpose an entire piece of music?

From: Colin Campbell
Subject: Re: How to transpose an entire piece of music?
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2015 14:22:30 -0700

On 15-12-22 02:04 PM, Bernhard Kleine wrote:

I had a christmas carol "Zu Bethelem geboren" with is in F-Dur. That
piece has a bass voice going to "großem F" more than once. Since the
other voice are not at all at their upper limit, I thought to
transpose the carol by 1 or 2 tones to G-Dur or A-Dur.

This turned out difficult for the following reason.

Using the \transposition with the \score

\score {
     \transpositon D {
        \new ChoirStaff <<

     \layout {}
     \midi {}
}

gave error: wrong Typ of Argument 1, pitch expected, "D" found

I than used \transpose for individual voices, which lost the \relative
c'' property and the notes had to be individually positioned.
Furthermore the whole piece is still noted in F-Dur which makes for
some unusual naturals.

I'm rushing out for Christmas shopping, Bernhard, but one of your problems is that \relative must be *inside* the \transpose block.

Another quick thought: have you tried using Frescobaldi? One of the many powerful features is exactly what you need: the ability to select all of a piece and transpose from one to another pitch in a very smooth way.

HTH and

Fröhliche Weihnachten! Colin

--
I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both
hands.