Re: Unwanted barline. How to get rid of it?

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Unwanted barline. How to get rid of it?
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2015 13:23:18 +0100

> Hello,
>
> Did I notice warning: barcheck failed at: 5/8
> c r4
>       | ?
> Yes, I did.
> Should the r4 be r4. ?
> No, I don't think so, for if there is, in this repeated section, a partial 8
> at the beginning it is logical that the last bar of that section has one
> eighth note or rest less.

No. If you spell out the repeat you'll see it directly:

\relative c {
  \time 6/8
  \partial 8 c'8 c4. c | c c | c r4 c8 | c4. c | c c | c r4 | %% <- missing 8
  c4.~  c \bar "|."
}

> More importantly, this is what the original has, and for many reasons I want
> to stick to that.
> Maybe it's "illegal" but shouldn't be there some trick to hide my sins?
> LilyPond seems full of the most beautiful tricks.

Easiest fix might be:

\relative c {
  \clef bass
  \time 6/8
  \repeat volta 2 { \partial 8 c'8 c4. c | c c | c r4 }
  \set Timing.measurePosition = #(ly:make-moment 6/8)
  c4.~  c \bar "|."
}

HTH,
  Harm