Beamed Tremolo + Fermata

From: Abraham Lee
Subject: Beamed Tremolo + Fermata
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2015 15:52:15 -0700

Happy holidays, everyone!

I noticed a question in a different forum about the placement of a fermata relative to a beamed tremolo. The attached image shows three possible scenarios for this, but it was a pretty unanimous vote that measure 2 was correct.

Intrigued, I wondered how LP would respond to this so I tried:

{
  \repeat tremolo 16 { a'32 c'' } \fermata
}

but this resulted in an error (which I can understand). So, the only (kinda good) solution I could think of for this is to add a spacer grace note and attach the fermata to that:

{
  \repeat tremolo 16 { a'32 \grace { s8 \fermata } c''32 }
}

This works alright, but my guess that in actual use I'd have to adjust the horizontal position once I've spaced everything else out. Any other nice ideas to center-align the fermata on the tremolo beams?

The recommended alternative solution (in case a notation program couldn't do it like measure 2) is measure 3 where you only put a fermata on the first note. LP has no problem with that one.

Best,
Abraham