Forcing bar number display at will

From: Menu Jacques
Subject: Forcing bar number display at will
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2015 10:40:45 +0100

Hello folks,

I find it convenient when I don’t have to play for a number of measures to
decompose the multiple rests in portions corresponding to what the others play,
and to have bar numbers showing up here and then to help catching up when I’ve
got to blow again.

What I don’t understand in the example below is why:

  \once\override Score.BarNumber.break-visibility = ##(#f #t #f)

shows bar numbers 10 and 19 even though they’re at a beginning of line, and not
1.

To get bar number 1 displayed, I’ve got to use:

  \once\override Score.BarNumber.break-visibility = ##(#f #t #t)

Thanks for your help!

%%%%%%%%%

\version "2.19.33"

%{
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/bars#bar-numbers

The order of the three values is
  end of line visible,
  middle of line visible,
  beginning of line visible:
\override Score.BarNumber.break-visibility = ##(#t #t #t)
%}

myDisplayBarNummber = {
  % Allow bar numbers to be displayed not only at beginning of lines:
%  \once\override Score.BarNumber.break-visibility = ##(#f #t #t)
  \once\override Score.BarNumber.break-visibility = ##(#f #t #f)

  % Allow bar number 1 to be displayed:
  \once\set Score.barNumberVisibility = #all-bar-numbers-visible
}

\layout {
%  indent = 0
  ragged-last = ##t
}

{
  % Allow first bar number to be displayed, and do it:
  \bar ""
  \myDisplayBarNummber

  R1*2 | \barNumberCheck #3
  \myDisplayBarNummber