Re: cue note fontsize inherited by uncued notes?

From: Greg
Subject: Re: cue note fontsize inherited by uncued notes?
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2015 22:49:46 +0000

On 26/12/2015 22:14, Patrick Karl wrote:
> On 12/26/15 12:49 PM, Jacques Menu wrote:
>> Hello Patrick,
>>
>> Does:
>>
>> SWithCues = \relative c'' {
>>    % R1
>>    \new Voice {
>>      \cueDuring #"A" #UP  R1    % 1
>>    }
>>    g4 a b c                              % 2
>> }
>>
>> solve your problem?
>
> Yes, indeed.  Can you tell me why?  And why does the initial R1 avoid
> the problem?  Is it a general concept that cuing notes need to be put
> into a separate voice?
>
> Thanks for the answer.
>>
>> JM
>>
>>> Le 26 déc. 2015 à 17:00, Patrick Karl <address@hidden> a écrit :
>>>
>>> The output from the following snippet seems odd:
>>>
>>> \version "2.19.32"
>>>
>>> A = \relative c'' {
>>>     c4 b a g   c b a g            % 1-2
>>> }
>>>
>>> \addQuote "A" \A
>>>
>>> SWithCues = \relative c'' {
>>> % R1
>>>    \cueDuring #"A" #UP  R1    % 1
>>>    g4 a b c                              % 2
>>> }
>>>
>>> { \SWithCues }
>>>
>>> The notes in the 2nd measure as well as the full-measure rest in
>>> measure 1 look like cue notes rather than default size regular notes.
>>>
>>> If an uncued full-measure rest is added before the cued full-measure
>>> rest, the ouput looks correct.

I think it's because appending an R1 to the start or adding '\new Voice'
creates a Voice context, whereas a \cueDuring at the start creates a
CueVoice context. It's not immediately obvious that this might happen,
but see the Note here
[http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/writing-parts#formatting-cue-notes]:

"When a Voice starts with cueDuring ... the Voice context must be
explicitly declared, or else the entire music expression would belong to
the CueVoice context."

Greg.