ragged-right - turn it on and off

From: Steve Fullerton
Subject: ragged-right - turn it on and off
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2015 19:36:02 -0600 (CST)

 Fiddle tunes usually have 2 parts, each with 8 measures. In tablature that works out to 2 lines of 3 measures and 1 line of 2 measures followed by a \break. The line with 2 measures will be stretched out to fill the page because ragged-right = ##f. This looks odd.

I would like the 2 measure line to not stretch out and behave like ragged-last=##t, even though it is not the last line.

I looked around and found this -- which you put on line 3 to fake out the layout engine to make line 3 look like it would if ragged-right was true:

\stopStaff
 s1 s1 s1
 \bar ""
 \break
 \startStaff

This works (sort of) but I can't believe that it is the right way to this?

So to be clear, I need to have ragged-right to be false for 6 measures and true for the next 2. Then for part B, false again for 6 and true for the last 2. The score should look like this:

Part A
-- | -- | -- |
-- | -- | -- |
-- | -- |

Part B
-- | -- | -- |
-- | -- | -- |
-- | -- |

What it looks like with ragged-right = ##f

Part A
-   -  | -  - |  this line is stretched out

Part B
-  -  | -  -  |  this line is stretched out

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.