Re: adding a markup ("sim.") to the end of a SustainPedalBracket

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: adding a markup ("sim.") to the end of a SustainPedalBracket
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 00:46:08 +0100

> Argh! Here’s the attachment.
>
> Sorry for the noise,
> Kieren.
>

> On Dec 27, 2015, at 5:31 PM, Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Hello Harm (et al.),
>>
>> Attached is the pedal stencil-altering function you wrote for me back in
>> 2013 (v. 2.17.20).
>> (BTW: I use this function all the time. Thanks!)

Honestly, I didn't remember I wrote it. Though, I found it on my hard-disk...

>> Recently, I’ve been thinking about generalizing it and submitting it as a
>> patch, with a few small improvements (e.g., it would be great to have
>> parameters for the trailing text and padding).

I think it'll be possible. Ofcourse as a music-function.

>> But before I got around to that, I upgraded to 2.19.34, and it’s stopped
>> working:
>>    In procedure stencil-whiteout in expression (stencil-whiteout
>> new-sim-stil) […]
>>    Wrong number of arguments to #<procedure stencil-whiteout (stil style
>> thickness line-thickness)>
>>
>> It seems to work fine with 2.19.31, if that helps narrow down the issue.
>> n.b. Applying convert-ly didn’t seem to fix the problem.
>>
>> If you could fix it for me, I would greatly appreciate it.
>> Even more appreciated would be to add those arbitrary text and padding
>> parameters.  ;)

Well, the problem is quite obvious.
Paul implemented some nice whiteout-functions, though the amount of
needed arguments is different now.

Which one do you want?
You can replace stencil-whiteout with `stencil-whiteout-box' and it
should work. `stencil-whiteout' itself takes more arguments now, among
them a `style'-argument, which may be set to 'outline or 'rounded-box
and some padding is possible.

Though, I have a problem with it, thus cc-ing Paul and David

(1)
stencil-whiteout-box uses define*-public and optional arguments, I
thought it's broken in guilev2
If it's ok here I have not understood the subtletyies when usage is ok
and when not. I would appreciate any hint (link) helping me to
understand.
If it's not ok, it should be fixed, ofcourse. Though in general, would
dotted syntax be an alternative?
Like (define-public (stencil-whiteout-box stil . rest) ...)

(2)
The doc-string for `stencil-whiteout' implies that @var{thickness} is
optional. As far as I understand it's not.

Cheers,
  Harm