Re: Strings as variable names

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: Strings as variable names
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 12:05:22 +1100

Hi Jacques,

Well, the NR states:

The name of a variable must have alphabetic characters only, no numbers, underscores, or dashes.

That excludes spaces explicitly. The fact that you can use a quoted string is undocumented and may therefore become unsupported at any time. In Scheme, you cannot have strings as variable identifiers. I would be disinclined to move too far away from Scheme syntax, even though lilypond may allow it.

Most lilypond users would write bellaMelodia, conventionally. In terms of readability, it’s clearer to read than the string with quotes, I reckon.

Andrew