How to shift stem from one side of a note to the other side

From: Cynthia Karl
Subject: How to shift stem from one side of a note to the other side
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2015 12:33:49 -0600

(note newfound knowledge used to create a new topic without hijacking a thread.)

I’m engraving a piece that has what appears to me to be an unusual-looking
polyphonic chord (beat 3, music is \time 4/4):

TIFF image

So far the closest I can come to that chord is:

TIFF image

with the following code:

Is there a way to shift the stem from the right side of the half-note f to the
left side with simpler code?  I’m hoping for something like \set
Stem.attachmentSide = #’left to replace all four of the \override’s and the
fiddling needed to determine the various numerical quantities.

TIA