Re: Adjusting OttavaBracket parameters (was "Re: can't seem to apply twe

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Adjusting OttavaBracket parameters (was "Re: can't seem to apply tweaks on tweaks")
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2016 11:38:24 -0500

Hi Harm,

Thank you so much for doing all this! Very informative and helpful.

> I made some fundamental research about spanners with line-interface
> and those with additional line-spanner-interface.
> Code, pdf, log attached. Their behaviour is inconsistent, to say the least.

=(

> Regarding default OttavaBracket:
> It doesn't have line-spanner-interface […]
> It is discussable whether OttavaBracket should behave more like other
> spanners with line-spanner-interface. I guess the main reason why
> OttavaBracket is done as it is, was to have edge-height and
> bracket-flare user-settable.
> Though, this may be possible even if the stencil-procedure would
> listen to the properties from line-spanner-interface.
>
> This would mean to rewrite the stencil, ofcourse. C++ work, which I
> can't do myself.

David K: Here, I believe, is a perfect example of a well-defined task that I
would be happy to sponsor.

It’s worth at least 50 Euro to me.
  - if it’s an easier fix than that, I’m happy for my money to go to whatever
cause seems appropriate;
  - if it’s a harder fix than that, perhaps I can get some co-sponsors.

Thoughts?

> P.S.: Up to now I found it impossible to override certain properties
> of the first part of a broken OttavaBracket, like the length of the line.
> Hairpin has the 'broken-bound-padding at least, but none of the
> others, if I'm not mistaken.

And my limited testing with \alterBroken seems to suggest that not all bits are
user-settable (e.g., I still can’t seem to set the broken text without
overriding the stencil).

Thanks,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer