Re: Adjusting OttavaBracket parameters (was "Re: can't seem to apply twe

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Adjusting OttavaBracket parameters (was "Re: can't seem to apply tweaks on tweaks")
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2016 16:13:40 -0500

Hi David,

> To me it would appear that in this case by far the lion's share of the
> work is digging through reference books (incidentally, I don't have any
> of those), devising a good plan for the desired behavior, checking with
> the current behavior, figuring out where the differences are,
> cross-checking with other line spanners, abstracting useful
> commonalities and differences and only ultimately touching the code.

If OttavaBracket simply supported line-spanner-interface (as per my feature
request in a previous email), and I submitted a reasonable set of defaults and
syntactic sugar — based on the many reference books (which, incidentally, I
*do* have) — we’d satisfy 99.5% of the OttavaBracket needs of 99.5% of the
Lilypond user base.

Getting that done in a short amount of time seems like a far better idea (to
me) than spending multiple hours cross-checking other spanners, etc., and
possibly not rolling out such useful features in the foreseeable future.

It’s funny: I have been taken to task more than one time on this list for
defining too large and vague a feature/request. Now an incredibly focused and
well-defined task (“make OttavaBracket support line-spanner-interface”) is
apparently too small and/or specific?

Regards,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer