Re: A twelve tone matrix engraver

From: Caio Giovaneti de Barros
Subject: Re: A twelve tone matrix engraver
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2016 11:01:54 -0200

Hi Kieren

On 02-01-2016 16:22, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
1. How difficult would it be to add a function which produced a row in “traditional format”, i.e., \tonerow #”RI4” would give you [from your example] { a’ gs’ c’’ d’’ ds’’ fs’ f’ e’ cs’’ g’ b’ as' }
Not difficult at all! Try the attached files. Open the 12tone-matrix.ly and write at the end of the file:

\writeRow #'RI #3

(don't forget the single quote in the first argument)

You can do this in any file, just include this tree lines at the beginning:

#(define row '(some row))

\include "12tone-calc.scm"

\include"12tone-engravers.ily"

Right now the second argument is mandatory. This means that if you don't want any transpositions you need to write #0 as the second argument of \writeRow.

2. Can your code be extended easily/quickly to support arbitrary pitch sets and row counts? For example, I used a 10-tone row drawn from [only] 8 distinct pitch classes in a recent piece, and would love to have tools available to help with similar efforts in the future.
Well, that's exactly my intention! In theory it should be very easy to extend it this way. I have little time right now, but I'll keep the list updated in further implementations.

Cheers,
Caio