Re: Strings as variable names

From: Sharon Rosner
Subject: Re: Strings as variable names
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2016 12:59:21 -0700 (MST)

> > Using the syntax with quotes is rather ugly, I agree.  But it is
> > nonetheless potentially useful for two reasons:
> > (1) it enables us to use numbers etc. in variable names

> Why would that be desirable?

Suppose you make an edition of the St Matthew Passion, in which you have a
few dozen parts (two orchestras and two choirs), and ~ 70-80 numbers
(depending on how you count). Numbering everything using roman numerals
would be a bit problematic, I'd say.

> But really, \"violin1" is so much more ugly than \violinI or if you must
> \violin_I.

It's a probably a matter of taste, but I think
\"68-choir/orchestra1/violino1" is much more readable and maintainable than
\choirLXVIIIorchestraIviolinoI. Personally I use variables this way and find
it much more natural than pretending we're back to classical Rome. And since
Lilypond supports this already, I don't really get why this should be
discouraged.

Sharon Rosner