Re: When to Use Pound Signs

From: David Bellows
Subject: Re: When to Use Pound Signs
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2016 15:42:35 -0800

According to the Wikipedia article
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_sign) in North America referring
to # as "pound sign" dates back to at least 1932 in published material
which predates ASCII by almost 30 years. The Wikipedia article
provides a citation for this but I am unable to verify it. But I will
note that I first learned it as "pound sign" in the early '70s which I
doubt had anything to do with computer standards.

On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 3:17 PM, J Martin Rushton