Re: Repeat 8va

From: H. S. Teoh
Subject: Re: Repeat 8va
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2016 14:22:44 -0800

On Fri, Jan 08, 2016 at 04:16:15PM -0600, Christopher R. Maden wrote:
> On 01/08/2016 04:08 PM, John Gourlay wrote:
> >As an exercise in learning to use LilyPond I’m engraving “The
> >Entertainer” by Scott Joplin. In the old published version I’m
> >working from (1902), the score looks like this at measure 22:
> >
> >I’m concerned about the “Repeat 8va”, which I assume means that on
> >the second repetition of this section it should be played an octave
> >higher than the first time. Do you know how to make this happen in
> >LilyPond? I can easily make the LilyPond output simply say “Repeat
> >8va”, but I’d really like LilyPond to know about the octave change,
> >so the midi output of the second repetition is played in the correct
> >octave.
>
> Generally, once you get into any kind of moderately complicated score,
> you have to concoct your score and MIDI separately, e.g.:
>
> theTune = c c c c
>
> theScore = \repeat volta 2 { \theTune }
>
> theMidi = \theTune \transpose c c' \theTune
>
> \score{ \theScore \layout{} }
>
> \score{ \theMidi \midi{} }
>
> I like to use \articulate in the MIDI block, too, for instance.
[...]

Agreed. Once you get past a certain level of complexity, trying to use
the same score for both layout & midi is an exercise in pain. Almost all
of my scores start out with just a single score block, and end up
needing a separate midi score just so I can do things with the midi that
I don't want represented in the printed score.

Valentine's Day: an occasion for florists to reach into the wallets of nominal
lovers in dire need of being reminded to profess their hypothetical love for
their long-forgotten.