Re: Beaming over a rest before a subdivision

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Beaming over a rest before a subdivision
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2016 13:57:19 -0500

Hi Urs,

> Ah well, producing stemlets is the responsibility of user input code.

Indeed.  =)
I have some syntactic sugar for just such efforts.

> Find attached a solution *with* stemlets (\override Staff.Stem.stemlet-length
> = 1)

From the standpoint of clarity [of beat division/subdivision], this is 100%
clear.

However, it may not be the most elegant *looking* solution… In particular, when
there are that many beams, and the rests get pushed “out from under the
umbrella”, it’s a little disconcerting. See what it looks like if you lengthen
the stems, allowing the rests to at least poke their heads up below the
“baseline”.

Best,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer