Re: Behavior of non-flag side with strictBeatBeaming

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Behavior of non-flag side with strictBeatBeaming
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 18:33:57 +0100

Am 13.01.2016 um 18:23 schrieb Urs Liska:

Am 13.01.2016 um 18:09 schrieb Urs Liska:
Hi all,

one more beaming question,

given the following input

\relative a' {
  \time 6/8
  \set strictBeatBeaming = ##t
  a8.. a32 a16 a
}

which of the attached engravings do you prefer, LilyPond's current or
the modified?
Would it make sense to add a beaming option (e.g.
"strictBeatBeamingNonFlagSide") so the user can choose?

Note that I think this is actually the difference between subdivideBeams being ##t or ##f.
Currently LilyPond produces the second rendering from my previous post, regardless of subdivisions or not.

So I'd say *with* strictBeatBeaming *and* subdivided beams the non-flag side should have its stems governed by the rhythmic position of the subdivision while with strictBeatBeaming and *no* subdivisions it should have the beam number of the following stem.

Objections?

OK, last one before shutting down for now.

Attached is what I think should be the behavior for the following input:

\version "2.19.36"

notes = \relative a' { a8.. a32 a16 a }
\relative a' {
  \time 6/8

  \notes

  \set subdivideBeams = ##t
  \set baseMoment = #(ly:make-moment 1/16)
  \notes

  \set strictBeatBeaming = ##t

  \set subdivideBeams = ##f
  \notes

  \set subdivideBeams = ##t
  \notes
}

Two measures with two beams each, the first beam without, the second with subdivisions.
First measure with regular beat beaming, the second with "strictBeatBeaming".

It's obvious that subdivided beams implicitly cause "strictBeatBeaming" while at the subdivision.

Urs
Urs

Best
Urs