Re: Making notes have no presence at all (horizontal brackets)

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Making notes have no presence at all (horizontal brackets)
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 22:05:00 -0500

Hi Kevin,

> I need to add a voice with notes that are a) invisible and b) have no effect
> on the spacing of other music on the staff. I haven't found a way to do this

What about:

\score {
  \new Staff <<
    \mark \markup "rests, omitted"
    \global
    \new Voice \relative {
      bes,8-\tweak direction #1 \startGroup
      ees4\stopGroup c\startGroup
      bes8\startGroup aes\grace { g16[ aes] } g4\stopGroup \stopGroup
    }
    \new Voice \relative {
      \omit Rest
      s8
      r2*1/2 -\tweak direction #1 \startGroup \startGroup r\stopGroup
      r8\stopGroup

The only oddity I saw was that r1 made that bracket drop vertically (though I
don’t know why).

Hope this helps in some way!
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer