Re: Behavior of non-flag side with strictBeatBeaming

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Behavior of non-flag side with strictBeatBeaming
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 01:09:58 +0100

Am 14.01.2016 um 12:33 schrieb Kieren MacMillan:
>> So I suggest the following:
>> >    • Default behaviour is (as currently): point the extra beam to the side
>> > with more stems (i.e. join them)
>> >    • strictBeatBeaming produces (as currently) the extra stemlet but (new)
>> > joins the beams on the non-flag side
>> >    • subdivideBeams produces (as currently) a subdivision on the non-flag
>> > side, regardless of the strictBeatBeaming setting.
>> > The attached image beaming-options.png illustrates these three options.
>> > However, as I'm aware that most people will want to have subdivided beams
>> > at strictBeatBeaming's extra beamlets, even when beams are not generally
>> > subdivided I suggest an option, say "subdivideAtStrictBeaming" that does
>> > just that, and set it to ##t as default.
> To me, that sounds like the best of all possible worlds.

OK, here you go :-)
It was quite some work, but I think I'm getting somewhere soon (although
I'm sure there will be more intricacies ahead).

I have pulled together a complicated example, which is engraved with a
number of option combinations. For ease of discussion I have numbered
the stems.

A) is just the default output, presumably barely usable in this music.

B) and C) are with just subdivideBeams on, but with different baseMoment
settings.
For those who didn't notice so far: The divisions between 2-3 and 7-8 in
B) have a different number of beams: the beam count corresponds to the
metrical position of the stem right of the division.

D) is also subdivided by 1/16, but has additionally set strictBeatBeaming.
It's nearly the same as C) with the exception of the extra beamlet at
stem 10 pointing to the right side.

E) renders identically to D) although for different reasons:
E) has three beams between 9-10 because 10 happens to be at a 1/32
position, so that triggers a subdivision.
In D) there would be no subdivision at that point because it looks for
the 1/16 positions. However, the extra beamlet at 10 (caused by
strictBeatBeaming) forces the beam on the opposite side of the stemlet
to be subdivided, and that happens to be a 1/32 position resulting in
the three beams.

F) is interesting as it *only* has strictBeatBeaming set.
There is no subdivision in the middle of the beam (7-8) because
subdivideBeams is not set. However, the beamlets at stems 2 and 10 force
the subdivisions 2-3 and 9-10, each resulting in the beam count
corresponding to the metrical value of the right stem.

Finally G) uses (deactivates) the new property
subdivideAtStrictBeatBeaming to suppress the triggering of the extra
subdivisions. The result is basically the same as A) with the extra
beamlets at 2 and 10. I wouldn't ever want to use that setting with
*this* music, but there may well be occasions to use it (with less
complex music) to be more consistent with other non-subdivided beams.

Best
Urs