Re: Lyrics for additional verses in LilyPond?

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Lyrics for additional verses in LilyPond?
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2016 20:58:49 -0600

On Sat 16 Jan 2016 at 15:27:48 (+0000), Tim Regan wrote:
> Thanks Knute. That works. At first I place the markup block inside the score
> after my add lyrics block but that threw syntax errors. Once I placed it
> after the score it did exactly what I want.

I basically copied the example from p274 et seq of the Notation Manual
(2.18.2), but I think the factorisation of p276 is rather poor. I keep
the individual verses at the end of the file containing the notes and
any lyric underlays:

texti = \markup {
  \column {
    \line {
      "1. "
      \column {
        "Saviour, again to thy dear name we raise"
        "With one accord our parting hymn of praise;"
        "We stand to bless thee ere our worship cease;"
        "Then, lowly kneeling, wait thy word of peace."

which yields conventional hanging indents for the verse numbers.
I then put the layout (and which selection of verses I want to set) in
the file containing the \score sections:

\score {
  [...]
  \layout { }
}

\markup {
  \fill-line {
    \column {
      { \texti } \vspace #2.0

This is just a simple column. But imagine the editing involved if, for
example, you wanted to omit verse 3 in the example in the Manual...

Cheers,
David.