Re: Lilypond and Jazz chords

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Lilypond and Jazz chords
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2016 16:59:37 -0500

Hi Carl-Henrik,

> As far as i can see this Brandt & Roemer thing is a work in progress.

Indeed.

> I'm thankfull somebody seems to be working on it!

You’re welcome.  =)

> There is however much to be done before chords in Lilypond are mature enough
> to use for jazz chord notation.

I don’t think anybody argues that point.

> I'm crossing my fingers that a lilypond-programmer reads this and takes pity
> on us who needs this for our work.

One of the reasons I’m developing the B&R stylesheet is that it is the most
complete and logical *organization* of chords that I've ever found. (The actual
*naming*, on the other hand… well…)

Once the file is complete — including all programming (Scheme functions, etc.)
necessary to make the B&R stylesheet work as intended — and it passes some
vetting/consensus process in the Lilypond community, I’m hoping it will become
the template for a rapid proliferation of chord-naming stylesheets, which will
naturally include more conventional/accepted naming schemes.

Best regards,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info